Furnace stop working recently in the middle of winter? Don’t sweat it! (Well, even if you could sweat)… Almost a quarter of all service calls related to furnaces could be resolved with little or no cost at all with just a few troubleshooting steps. Brinson & Sons has you covered with what to check in order to get your furnace back up and running in no time!
Checking your thermostat
Always start with what may seem to be the most obvious solution: ensure the thermostat is on and set to the correct setting. With each passing year, it seems thermostats become even more convoluted with screens, settings, wifi connectivity and more. Because of all of these new “options”, finding the correct settings for your furnace may prove challenging. Some steps you can take are:
- Set the temperature several degrees higher than surrounding air, see if the furnace kicks on.
- Trace the wires back to the furnace to ensure there are no breaks in the wiring. This is especially common after a renovation.
- Consult your thermostat manual provided by the manufacturer. You may also call your manufacturer for more in depth instruction before calling a local professional.
Check Physical HVAC Equipment
There are several physical components that make your equipment work. This includes breakers, switches, filters and gas.
- A dirty filter is one of the most common perpetrators of dysfunctional furnaces. When dust restricts airflow and the filter becomes clogged, the heat exchanger will warm too quickly, causing the furnace to shutdown prematurely.
- Some wall furnaces are turned on by regular wall switches. Several of our technicians have driven quite a long way to only flip a switch! Also check the circuit breaker for a broken fuse.
- If your furnace is powered by gas, the solution may be checking the gas valve. It may have been accidentally closed – some are levers that get easily pushed into an “off” position.
- If your furnace or fireplace has a chimney attached to it, make sure nothing fell into it like a creature or branch.
Brinson & Sons Heating Specialists
Oftentimes, the best solutions come in the form of proactive prevention. Contact us to learn more about our maintenance plans that we feel confident will save you money and time. Brinson & Sons offers comprehensive service for all HVAC units and furnaces, commercial or otherwise. Call us today to learn more about our current service offerings. 910-763-3550