How you choose to go about HVAC service can have a long-lasting impact on the longevity of your HVAC system. Brinson & Sons wants to ensure each customer gets their money’s worth when they purchase a HVAC system from us. In order to do so, follow our tips on the dos and don’ts of HVAC service.
Hire a Professional to Seal Leaks
Attempting repairs on your own in order to save money can lead to more damage that may be irreversible. Hiring a professional to perform HVAC service is the correct way to perform repairs. Having a professional seal leaks can save you 20 percent alone on your energy bill according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
Do Not Close Vents
Grandma was wrong. Closing vents does not save you money in today’s modern homes. In fact, it can cause you to lose energy in your home.
Replace Your Old HVAC System
We’re not saying you should replace your HVAC system every time you get an itch; however, studies show that modern HVAC systems can help you save a considerable amount of money because of new energy efficient technologies. We suggest you weigh the pros and cons to discover whether it’s a wise choice to upgrade.
Maintain a Checklist
Maintain a monthly and annual checklist to provide the best HVAC service. These items should be on your monthly to-do list:
- Inspect the refrigerant lines of your HVAC system
- Replace the air filter every three months
- In the Summer, turn off the water line to the furnace humidifier
- In the Fall, replace the humidifier filter and turn the water back on
And here are some annual HVAC checklists:
- Replace the carbon monoxide or fire detector battery
- Make sure the AC unit is firmly grounded and level to the ground
- Clear the AC condensate drain with a bleach or water mixture
If you are unsure how to perform some of these operations, please consult a professional. Or better yet, see our contact information on this page to reach us directly. We are more than happy to help!